Chapter 1. The question of Classification
Chapter 2. Embellishment of sword-hilts
– Swords of distinctive types 1, 2 and of the MANNHEIM type
– Type D
– Type S
– Problems associated with horn-hilts
– Ornamentation of Z-type sword-hilts
Chapter 3. Technological aspects of the blade construction
– Blade structures
– Blade forms
Chapter 4. Inscriptions and symbols on swords
– Names of ambiguous meaning
– Names of sword-smiths
– HARTOLFA and HILTIPREHT inscriptions
– Magic and closing symbols
Chapter 5. The sword as a weapon and symbol
– 34 Plates with B&W pictures of swords, hilts, decorations, symbols and inscriptions
The catalogue places in the book contains over 400 early medieval swords found in Europe!
The book includes maps with marked places where the swords were found!
Highly recommended work on swords, not only for archeologists but for every sword-lover!