In stock (can be backordered)
One of the most important and most spectacular book on weapons of recent years in Poland. Great monograph of gunmaking of famous Teschen / Cieszyn school. The book and author are prize winners of Sybilla – Polish Museums Award!
Tschinke /Cieszynka rifles are amongst the most characteristic firearms in the world due to its unusual technical features (wheel-lock with spring outside of the stock) and thanks to a very characteristic decorations. But Teschen school produced also pistols, combinet weapons and many more, from medieval times up to 20th century.
The Author, well known scholar and curator of Pszczyna castle, found unknown historical sources and documents in Polish and German archives. That’s why this book presents new look on Teschen questions.
THE BOOK CONTAINS ENGLISH SUMMARY AND PICTURES CAPTIONS!!!
Contents of English summary:
– Gunmaking of Teschen School
– Figural and foliate decoration
– Decoration of so-called oriental style
– Floral decoration
– Simple decoration
– Black Tschinkes
– Mixed decorations
+ summary contains information included in Polish articles like:
– The beginnings of gunmaking in Teschen in th 16th century
– Golden period of gunmaking in Teschen (from the 17th century to the 30’s of the 18th c.)
– Tschinke rifles and gunmakers
– Classical tschinkes – construction, function, decoration
– Powder-flasks and other firearms in style of Teschen school
– Unknown and known masters
– Other gunsmiths centers – Bielsko, Biala, Kety, Zywiec
– Crisis of Teschen gunsmiths
– Attempts of revival of Teschen gunsmiths in 19th century and its collapse in 20th century.
LIST OF TESCHEN GUNSMITHS and STOCK-DECORATORS – over 314 names!!!
Index of names and places
Index of illustrations